Sunday, June 8, 2014

YORKSHIRE TEA CAKE RECIPE

Tomorrow is a public holiday here in Australia to celebrate the Queen's Birthday!

Although I don't know her :) ... I think this is the perfect cake to bake to celebrate this special occasion, because the recipe is using Yorkshire Tea, a black tea label which was founded in Yorkshire, England by the Taylor brothers in 1886.

The Prince of Wales granted Yorkshire Tea the Royal Warrant of Appointment for supplying Clarence House (his London residence) for over five years.

So when someone from Yorkshire Tea offered me a pack of their famous tea and a tea cake recipe to try, I thought I gave it a try.

What intrigued me about Yorkshire Tea was that they went to great lengths to create the perfect blend. For Australian customers, they sent 3 different waters from 3 different Australian states to Yorkshire, to ensure that the Australians can enjoy a proper brew that’s bright, brisk and strong, just as Yorkshire Tea should be, whether or not you live in a normal water or hard water area.

So back to the tea cake, this was what i made using Yorkshire Tea:



WHAT YOU NEED:

350g mixed dried fruit
330ml tea made using Yorkshire tea infused for 4-5 minutes
2 medium eggs - beaten. I used large eggs because that was what I had.
200g light soft brown sugar or a mix of light and dark sugars.
270g self raising flour

HOW TO:

1. Several hours before you start to make the loaves, add the tea to the mixed dried fruit. Cover for a few hours. Ideally overnight, to allow all the goodness of the tea to soak and plump up the fruits.



2. In the morning, preheat the oven to 170° Celsius (375 ° Fahrenheit) fan assisted oven and grease and line a tin with baking parchment. The original recipe used a loaf tin, but I didn't have any. So I used a normal cake tin and sprayed with olive oil spray (no need for baking parchment).

3. Add the eggs to the mixed fruit and any unsoaked liquid, followed by the sugar. Mix thoroughly. My little chef was helping me :)


4. Add the flour to the fruit mixture. Mix thoroughly.

5. Pour evenly into the tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

6. Leave in the tins to cool completely before turning out.

7. Slice and serve with a warmed pot of Yorkshire Tea.


I really like the taste of this fruit tea cake. It's moist, perfectly balanced and very easy to do. It's a fun and easy recipe for cooking with kids.

By the way, these little flowers are courtesy of my sister Novita. She's the amazing cake decorator and owner of Heavenly D'lights. Aren't they so pretty?


The cake will keep for up to a couple of weeks if wrapped in baking parchment and kept in an airtight container. For my family, it only lasted less than a day because everyone kept on eating it :)

I hope you like the recipe and enjoy the Queen's Birthday holiday tomorrow!



I received a sample from Yorkshire Tea for my review. All opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.

11 comments:

  1. I love tea and cake, but never thought of mixing the two together. That cake looks delicious, and I am sure I will give it a try! Which fruits did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used dried mixed fruits. It had sultanas, raisins, mixed peel (orange & lemon) and glace cherries :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmm....looks so yummy! The Queen would approve :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yum! Love those pink flowers, pinning to try later:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything sweet lately totally "not in my menu" ...so, this is a tempted post and I have to be very strong to pass it on:) but I will save this till Christmas time! xx, Lana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha .. but it has fruits in it .. so I suppose it's a "healthier cake" lol

      Delete
    2. Happy celebration! and enjoy the cake for me, when I will be enjoying english tea for breakfast:)

      Delete
  5. Mmmmm, this looks delicious! I'm a big tea drinker, too, and I never thought to use it when baking a cake! I want to try this next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes this is the first time i used tea in baking too! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...